Local Government Unit LGU of LURAY, Toledo City, Cebu, Philippines
Hon. Sulla, Elma Ipili
Hon. Candol, Antonio Jr. Gamboa
Hon. Yu, Joseph Encabo
Hon. Borja, Chuck Anthony Bueno
Hon. Macapobre, Erlinda Corrales
Hon. Borja, Richter Moreno
Hon. Del Castillo, Leoncia Dacuyan
Abad, Andrew Christopher Jamero
These past few years, Luray 11 has earned its reputation as one of the biggest barangay in terms of land area. It has 154 hectares and 3,323 registered voters, with inhabitants of 4,391 based on NSO surveys last 2010. The charm and hospitality of the residents made the barangay one of a kind. It has 8 puroks namely Purok Drilling, Purok Lamakan, Purok Upper Sipaway, Purok Lower Sipaway, Purok Lawis, Purok Sta. Rosa, Purok San Miguel and Purok Kalubihan.
Luray 11 is one of the urban barangays of a progressive and groomed to become an industrially developed city in the future the city of Toledo located in the west coast of Cebu province. The barangay is situated next to barangay poblacion going north at about 0.9 kilometers from the heart of the city, followed by barangay Sangi. It is the home to public schools both primary and secondary levels as well as churches of different religious denominations. Also located in this barangay is the Prince warehouse club and A and A resort and pension house and the Atlas Fertilizers Chemicals Inc. (AFCI) staff house compound located in purok drilling which was built in 1958, where employees ranking from supervisory positions and higher are housed here. Cebu Electric Corporative 3 (CEBECO) is located at Purok Upper Sipaway the sole distributor of electricity not only in Toledo but also in the entire 3rd district.
This barangay was formerly known as Barangay Espelita, on August 30, 1901 the name of the so called barangay was changed into barangay Luray by an articulate individual named Don Mateo Delos Santos Epili, the person who donated a parcel of land where the St. John of Sahagun parish is situated.
In the early years, during the Spanish regime, there were coconut plantations in this barangay. Most of the occupation of its residents was making wine out of coconuts or what is popularly known in our dialect as the “tuba”, reality has it that most tuba makers were also tuba drinkers. This also means that drinking tuba was also one of their pastime habits. The reason why the barangay was named ‘Luray’ because most of the tuba drinkers after drinking tuba they got drunk and walked in a zigzag manner with their heads bouncing in any direction such action or movement is called “nagluray-luray. The barangay has an abundant source of Tugas and Lagundi trees a prime lumber source whom our ancestors houses were made of and remains to be used as lumber even up to the present. Nipa leaves is also abundant which proved to be useful roofing alternative to local houses and cottages also a good of source of living for the barangay folks who earned a modest living by making nipa leaves as roofing sheet.
After a few years, Luray was divided into two parts because of its growing population. These parts were Luray 1 and Luray 11. During that time Luray 11 according to a respondent was mainly composed of approximately 50-60 families from the Epili clan. The place was more likely a rural area with houses made of light materials and living conditions was very typical Filipino.