Brief History of the Parish
The Bishop of Cebu, Romualdo Gimeno, a Dominican Friar, issued a Decree for the erection of the Parish of Toledo on the 24th day of February, 1863.
However, this decree was only executed on the 8th of July, 1863 and the Parish of Toledo was de Facto "canonically erected". It's official Patron was St. John of Sahagun. According to other sources, the town was previously named Hinulawan because of the nearby Hinulawan river situated in the Daanlungsod. But due to the influence of the Alcalde Mayor in Cebu who happened to come from Toledo, Spain, the town and parish was renamed Toledo.
The nearest existing Parish to Toledo was the Parish of St. Francis of Assisi of Balamban erected in 1857. Thus it was but logical that Toledo (Hinulawan) was under the "spritual tutelage" of Balamban and was regularly visited. It was termed "visita" then by the priests of this neighboring parish. It could also have been that Hinulawan was part and parcel of the large parish and town of Balamban, though this is not for many, a comfortable thought to dwell on.
On the other hand, at the far-south side of the Toledo was another existing Parish of Sta. Monica in Pinamungajan which was established in 1850, even earlier than Balamban. For one reason or another, we don't know why it was not this Parish who took care of the spiritual needs of Toledo. It could have been because of the great difficulty for the travel and its accessibility that prevented this to happen.
It was believed that the FIRST Parish Priest of Toledo was REV. FR. SERVANO SEONE. The First marriage that he solemnized was that of Pedro Conahap and Fabiana Mara on August 26, 1863.
With this information, we can conclude that Toledo Parish from the beginning of its founding was administered by the Diocesan Clergy of Cebu.